Wednesday 4 September 2013

Time of Photography Reflection...

Its been a long time since my last post, 19 months to be exact. During that time, I have been learning film photography alongside my good friend, Aristotle Liu, an old work collegue and Flickr contact. More on my film photography work later on in another blog post.

During these months of learning about manual exposure, film photography has definitely slowed me down. I now take my time to compose, even when shooting digital. Its become second nature to me, as I have discovered, looking back the past four years of shooting digital, I would just shoot something pretty, and keep pressing that shutter button until i have taken over four hundred images. Within those images, after editing, I would end up with around ten usable images, with maybe two or three images which I would post on Flickr, heavily edited of course using actions and presets. Those were the old days of Flickr.

Now, I realised that film has also changed my perception of tones and colour. Some of the professional film stock I have been shooting like Fuji Pro 400H and Kodak Portra 160, 400 & 800 have the most natural, beautiful tones which I have learnt to appreciate over the past year and this reflects in my digital work too. I now try to shoot as neutral as I can. Gone are the days of vintage tones, strong contrasts and extreme sharpening.

The work I post from today onwards is a new path which I have taken over the past year. Slowing down, learning photography all over again, manual exposure, metering light, and enjoying my passion.


Pentax Spotmatic F | Fuji Acros 100


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you...are you there, if so, feel free to comment...